Here’s my recipe for a warm & delicious holiday beverage:
- 5 oz “Tea”
- 5 oz Whole Milk
- 3/4 shot Rum
- 3/4 shot Maple Syrup
When I switched from Whaler’s Dark Rum to Kraken Black Spiced Rum the popularity of this drink went through the roof! I’m not really sure if Kraken is that much better than Whalers, or if people just really like putting on fake Scottish accents and saying Kraken! really loudly. Either way, the Kraken makes it!
So, what’s the “tea” part? Basically it’s:
- 1/2 Chai
- 1/2 Mate (roasted)
- plus other stuff
The Other Stuff
So, what’s the other stuff? Really, just throw in any/every-thing that inspires you:
- Cinnamon (I like Cinnamon chips from San Francisco Herb)
- Make “Tea”
- Heat Milk
- Mix 50/50
- Add 3/4 shot Rum
- Add 3/4 shot Maple Syrup
- Finish with whipped cream on top. Chocolate whipped cream is a nice touch!
Intensify or Modify
- Increase or decrease the amount of rum. Or for non-alcoholic, just skip it.
- Increase or decrease the amount of maple syrup.
- For vegan, replace whole milk with soy or almond milk.
- For vegan, replace whipped cream with something like So Delicious Coco Whip
- 130°F / 54°C – I personally prefer a cooler drink
- 150°F / 66°C – Best average temperature for most peeps
- 170°F / 77°C – Some people, my mom for example, like it really hot!